Residents of Omoku town in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Council of Rivwrs State were thrown into panic as gas pipeline ruptured.
The residents were forced to flee their homes over fears of possible explosion.
It was gathered that the leakage occurred on Saturday, beside Grace Orphanage Home, off Egbada Road in Omoku main town. It was alleged that the leakage was caused by equipment failure, installed by Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) in the early 1960s.
Confirming the incident, leader of Voice of Freedom, Evaristus Nicholas, said the ruptured gas pipeline was yet to be clamped by NAOC, who operates it, adding that residents around the area are now at risk of fire explosion.
Nicholas said the pipelines were old and obsolete and should be replaced immediately. He said: “The ruptured pipeline is yet to be clamped by Agip or Oando as we speak. Gas fumes are in the air. The pipeline explosion was caused by corrosion, no casualty has been recorded so far.
“These pipelines are old, they were laid in the early 1960s when Agip came to Onelga.
“Now that Oando Plc has acquired Agip, Oando should start thinking of replacing these obsolete pipelines with new ones, otherwise more explosions like these will be recorded.”