Rival factions of Sudan’s military have agreed to renew a three-day ceasefire, shortly before it was due to expire.
The extension – for another 72 hours – follows intensive diplomatic efforts by neighbouring countries, as well as the US, UK and UN.
But there are continuing reports of heavy fighting in the capital Khartoum.
The previous truce allowed thousands of people to attempt to flee to safety, while dozens of countries have tried to evacuate their citizens.
Almost two weeks of fighting between the army and a rival paramilitary group have left hundreds dead.
The ceasefire had been expected to end at midnight local time Thursday
Early on Thursday evening the Sudanese regular army agreed to an extension, and its rival the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) followed suit hours later.
South Sudan has offered to host peace talks, and the army has agreed to send representatives to the talks.
Meanwhile the RSF and eyewitnesses said the army had been pounding its positions in Khartoum.
The foreign minister in the former civilian government, Maryam al-Sadiq al-Mahdi, told the BBC from her home in Khartoum that despite the ceasefire, civilians were still living in fear.
“What they call a truce has nothing to do with what is happening,” she told said “The bombardment by the aeroplanes is taking place almost all day and night.”
There are reports of several deaths. At least 512 people have been killed in the fighting and almost 4,200 injured, although the real number of deaths could be much higher.