Dogs generally means different things to different prople. To some dogs are security animal, while some regards it as friends.
Dogs have not always held a special place in the hearts of their human companions.
From pets to sporting companions to service dogs as it provide companionship and company. They can be a comfort to people who crave unconditional interaction with another living being.
According to Vanderbilt University, dogs can decrease levels of human loneliness and give humans a sense of purpose as they care for their animal companions. This can be especially beneficial for people who live alone, don’t socialize much, are empty-nesters or recently experienced a major change of life, such as the loss of a close human companion to death or divorce.
Again, it is also a well known fact that dogs can help reduce stress levels in human beings and are often used for therapeutic purposes in hospitals, nursing homes and hospices.
Playing with a dog, excusing, walking or running is said to help human beings reduce stress levels and increase their health and well-being.
Studies by Harvard University and Kansas State show dog interaction with humans can help combat challenges associated with some form of heart disease and autism.
Another known fact about dogs raised as service, assistance or therapy animals can open up the world for disabled individuals.
According to the Animal Welfare Information Center of the USDA, specially trained animal companions help with daily activities and assist people with challenges to make their way in the world. Service animals can make it possible for physically disadvantaged individuals to work, travel and live independently. Search-and-rescue dogs can track human scent in even the most challenging environments.
Dogs as Security
Dogs provide a sense of security for human companions. Trained watchdogs can provide a high degree of security, while even small house dogs can offer a sense of protection by alerting their owners to approaching strangers or unusual circumstances in the home.
Dogs employed by government agencies and police organizations sniff out contraband in places likes airports and large public venues to ensure public security.
According to a Texas A&M website, dogs utilized specifically for security purposes require a specialized degree of training to be safe and effective for their handlers.
Speaking on dogs and the various types of dogs in this piece, Mr Ikuomola Olawale, a dog lover and dog breeder and also the CEO Manuel’s Pet Lounge said, Dogs (Canis Lupus Familiarise) domestic mammal of the family canidae (order Carnivora) is the sub species of grey wolf.
According to Ikuomola, the common ancestor shared by modern grey wolf and modern dogs is believed to have been a now extinct animal known as the late pleistocene wolf, it was estimated that the divergence of wolves and dogs took place around 32,000 years ago.
He stressed that the domestication of dogs was one of the most extraordinary events in human history.
For more than 12,000 years dogs has lived with humans as a hunting companion, protector, object of scorn or adoration and friend.
The CEO of Manuel’ Pet Lounge also listed the benefits of having a dog to include:
– physical benefits : having a dog can actually make you healthier. Exercising more by walking your dog which brings a wide array of physical benefits. It improves heart health, strengthens bones, improve your mood, and also prevent heart disease
– Emotional benefits :Having a dog helps to reduce loneliness, increase self-Esteem and reduce stress
-Social benefits :Having a dog isn’t just good for you as an individual. It can also help you build stronger relationship with others. Helps in making new friends.
For home security, : Owning a dog can prevent home burglary.
*Note*: No matter how many benefits there are to owning a dog, that doesn’t mean you should adopt one if you don’t feel confident about caring for it. Being a dog owner is a big commitment, both in time and in money. Though there are ways money on pet care. If you’re not 100% sure you can meet a dog’s needs-including food, vet bills, care and attention it is not a good idea to bring one into your home.
*Facts about dogs*
– They are as smart as a two year old.
-They can smell your feelings.
– Newfoundlands dogs makes a great lifeguard because they have a water resistant coat and a webbed feet.
– Petting a dog can benefit your physical and mental health. Studies have shown that petting dogs for 15 minutes can lower blood pressure by 10%,helps lower feeling stress and depression.
-Dogs are trained to detect cancer and other diseases in humans.
*Groups/Classification of dogs*
– Working dogs: Dogs under this category are with the role of performing specific jobs related to guarding property or performing rescues. They make dependable, loyal pets with incredible intelligence and energy. Examples are Mastiff (Bull mastiff, Boerboel), Doberman.
– Herding group : The dogs in this group are once included with the working group dogs. The group includes 30 breeds in a wide variety of sizes, from the Corgi to German Shepherd.
– Toy groups: They are bred for the purpose of serving as companions for their humans. These small, easily portable dogs are ideal for apartments living. Dogs includes Maltese, Chihuahua and soon
– Non-Sporting group: This are dogs that don’t quite fit in anywhere else. They encompasses a variety of breeds with jobs that don’t satisfy the requirements of other groups. They are developed from toy and working groups. It includes Lhasa Apso, Chow chow, Dalmatian and soon
-Sporting group: These are dogs bred to be a hunter’s best sidekick. Their purpose is to assist with catching feathered game. Breed includes Labrador retriever and Golden retriever
– Hound group: This group of dogs were used for hunting, they have been specifically bred to pursue warm blooded quarry. They include Basenji, Dachshund, Greyhound.
– Terrier group :They are bred to guard their family home or barn and also killing vermin. Includes bull terrier, rat terrier.
*Top dog breeds in Nigeria*
There are over 400 breeds of dogs in the world out of which we would pick out the common ones found in Nigeria. This includes
German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Boerboel, Lhasa Apso, Caucasian shepherd, American Eskimo, Pitbull, Doberman, Labrador retriever, Golden retriever, Neapolitan mastiff, Great dane, Siberian Husky, Belgian mailinois, pug French bull dog, Chow chow, St. Bernard, Samoyed, Tibetan mastiff, and mostly found Basenji
The Best dogs for security*
From his counsel, Ikuomola who does home delivery of dogs said best dogs used for the protection of homes and properties includes-Rottweiler