Governor of Lagos state, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has claimed that there was no fatality recorded in the Lekki shooting on Tuesday. The governor announced suspension of all state activities for three days.
Security personnel had on Tuesday shot live bullets to disperse the #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate plaza and to enforce the 24hours curfew imposed by the state government.
Addressing Lagosians on Wednesday after visiting those who sustained injuries at various hospitals where they are receiving treatment, Sanwo-Olu reiterated that no fatalities were recorded as widely circulated on the social media.
The governor noted that the leadership of the Ministry of Health led by the Commissioner, Professor Akin Abayomi worked through the night with different hospitals in Lekki and environs to monitor and provide support for the injured protesters.
He said, “It is relevant to let you know that I have also personally visited the ten patients at the General Hospital, eleven at Reddington Hospital and four at Vedic Hospital, with mild to moderate injuries as well as the two in intensive care. So far, three patients have been treated and discharged to reunite with their families.”
He said, “Fellow Lagosians, in the sensitive mood and in the mood of the nation at this time, I have directed further that we have an immediate suspension of all state activities for the next three days, except those that are connected to the security activities in the state and the management of the current issues.
“I have also directed that at all public buildings within our reach that we lower the flag for the next three days as a mark of respect and solidarity for the protests.”