Skip to main content

Newsspecng

SPAR fire in Calabar disrupts business activities

SPAR fire in Calabar disrupts business activities

Releated Post

 

By Onwa Ekor

 

The Cross River Police Command has confirmed that no casualties were recorded in the fire that gutted a section of the SPAR Mall in Calabar.

In a statement, the Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Sunday Eitokpah, said the incident occurred in the early hours of Saturday.

“Properties belonging to traders at the SPAR Mall were affected by the fire.

“The possible cause points to an electrical fault and no casualties have been recorded,” he said.

Eitokpah added that security personnel had been deployed to the scene.

“We have set up a perimeter to prevent looting and to protect property belonging to individuals,” he said.

The fire outbreak was first reported at the SPAR Calabar Mall on Saturday morning.

Eyewitnesses said the blaze was preceded by what sounded like a minor gas or fuel explosion, which triggered the fire.

The incident sent thick clouds of smoke into the atmosphere and forced the closure of business activities at the mall.

Images from the scene showed flames consuming part of the building, with thick smoke billowing from the upper floors.

Members of the public gathered around the premises as emergency responders worked to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to other sections of the facility.

The incident caused panic among shoppers and traders within and around the complex as attention shifted to containment and ensuring the safety of those in the vicinity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More Related Posts

Thanks for subscribing to our newsletter